Chapter 11 Biotechnology: Principles And Processes
- Biotechnology deals with large scale production and marketing of products and processes using live organisms, cells or enzymes.
- Modern biotechnology using genetically modified organisms was made possible only when man learnt to alter the chemistry of DNA and construct recombinant DNA.
- The key process is called recombinant DNA technology or genetic engineering.
- This process involves the use of restriction endonucleases, DNA ligase, appropriate plasmid or viral vectors to isolate and ferry the foreign DNA into host organisms, expression of the foreign gene, purification of the gene product i.e., the functional protein and finally making a suitable formulation for marketing.
- Large scale production involves use of bioreactors.