PROPERTIES OF RATIONAL NUMBERS
- Closure property
- Rational numbers follow closure property under addition, subtraction and multiplication
- Rational numbers are, however, not closed under division.
- Rational numbers follow commutative property under addition, subtraction and multiplication.
- Rational numbers do not follow commutative property under division.
- Addition and multiplication are associative for rational numbers.
- Subtraction and division are not associative for rational numbers
Zero is the identity for addition of rational numbers.
One is the multiplicative identity for rational numbers.
The additive inverse of a/b is – a/b and vice versa.
The multiplicative inverse is the reciprocal of the rational number i.e. the multiplicative inverse of a/b is b/a.